Karim BELABAS on Fri, 9 Nov 2001 02:22:06 +0100 (MET)

Re: subst() broken

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
>> The big thing is that each polynomial euclidean division is done as
>> univariate polynomials division in the higher priority variables,
>> because euclidean division does not make sense for multivariate
>> polynomials.
>
> IMO, what is needed is some explicit explanation; with ample crosslinks
> to it from all the places which mention POLMOD and variable priorities...

I gave it a try. Please update your user's manual from the CVS server: I
added section 2.6.2 (on "variable priority") and refered to it about 15
times. This tries to explain GP's conception of multivariate polynomial
arithmetic, with explicit warnings about surprising results.

I moved some stuff away from section 4.6.1 (Multivariate objects) to stick
to library programming details at this point (this is not detailed enough).

I added an index entry for "variable (priority)"

Let's try to clarify this once and for all where it really matters (in the
manual). Any feedback will be much appreciated!

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425