Bill Allombert on Thu, 15 Nov 2001 11:31:47 +0100

Re: library installation/Mac OS X

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 01:51:25AM +0100, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> MakeMaker wants to produce a genuine shared library (with -fPIC) where
> libpari.so does not want to be position-independant: we don't really care
> about not sharing memory between running processes, whereas we do care about
> the performance penalty associated with position-independant code.  That's why
> -fPIC is omitted by default.  [ A good compromise would be to link the PARI
> kernel statically, and make a genuine shared library with the rest, the PIC
> penalty would be much smaller, possibly the usually advertised 5% or so. ]

To be technically correct, we *cannot* produce position-independent code
if we compile the asm files, because they are not written to be
position-independent, so there is no point compiling the other C files with
-fPIC.

On platform where there is no asm files supplied, we could compile PARI with
-fPIC. We should do it on the platform where non PIC shared lib broke.

The Debian package compile with -fPIC on each arch where there are no asm files.
(IIRC, ppc-gnu-linux does not support non PIC shared lib.)

On the PPC, PARI has no asm files currently, so it is safe to compile with
-fPIC. However I doubt the install problem is related. More probably,
the dlopen interface does not match the one expected by PARI, else
we would get at least a better error message.