Bill Allombert on Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:42:17 +0200

Re: Configure issues

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 01:42:34PM -0400, Igor Schein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In latest CVS, config/objdir command outputs 'Osolaris-sparcv9' on
> Solaris 2.7.  So if I choose, for example, 'none' instead of 'sparcv9'
> when running Configure, make command don't work in top level
> directory, since it's looking to cd to Osolaris-sparcv9.  This all is
> a consequence of latest changes to Configure, after which top-level
> Makefile is not a link to a corresponding Makefile in objdir anymore.
> So I'm curious, what are the plans for Configure?  Will the build from
> top-level directory be obsoleted?  If, like in my case, I wanna have
> 2 objdirs, one for optimized kernel and one for portable kernel,
> it's not consistent that I can build one from top level, while having
> to cd to the objdir for the other.

Sorry for any annoyance caused by this change. I have not thougt of this issue
before...

Before the change, you could only build the last Configure'd objdir from the
top level, that what not very consistent either, especially when you share your
tree again several arch. The problem with your setup is that make gp has no way
to guess which build you want to perform.

What I propose is to add an overridable Make variable ODIR that default to
`config/objdir`, so you can run

make gp "ARCHOS=none"

Would you consider this as an acceptable solution?

What is the make-wise portable way to do it ??
ARCHOS=$(shell config/arch-osname)

Also I do not consider good to use objects dir with name "none"
since it still run *only* on the target arch-os, and this forbid
you to have several portable kernel tree for several arch.

Cheers,

Bill