Igor Schein on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:36:02 -0400

Re: Flags for GCC 3

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:59:03PM +0200, Xavier-François Roblot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> gcc3 needs the compile flags
> 	-malign-loops, -malign-jumps and -malign-functions
> to be replaced by
> 	-falign-loops, -falign-jumps and -malign-functions.
>
> I know how to do that by modifying directly the Makefile :o) But maybe
> someone who knows better can modify the Configure script so that these
> changes are done automatically.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Xavier

I noticed that too, but I think the better approach is to first benchmark
gp with and without those flags to see you they actually improve
performance.  Gcc has long evolved since the time those flags were
selected as default flags on ix86, so now they might actually slow
things down.

I'll try some basic benchmarking.

Igor