Bill Allombert on Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:52:39 +0200

Re: mnemonics

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 12:03:03PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Karim Belabas wrote:
> [answering to myself:]
> > * Ilya's mneumonic patch --> fixed a typo (no-xxx didn't work) + commited and
> > documented [ cf ploth, log, and the beginning of Chapter 3. ]
>
> I've committed Ilya's tentative patch for testing purposes. As far as I can
> see, it works as documented in the code and the manual. Please check the
> manual and see whether this looks satisfactory.
>

> I still have 2 major problems, and 2 minor ones:
>
> 1)  no interface to library programming. PARI already has mnemonic flags
> corresponding to the GP ones (actually often more general, for internal
> purposes): there are a number of #define's scattered in a few header files
> (parinf.h is the prominent one), but it would be quite easy to unify
> everything (and use enum's).
>
> In particular, a GP2C interface needs to be designed: we don't want GP2C to
> duplicate and maintain privately the data necessary for litterate
> translations (from GP mnemonics to PARI mnemonics, as opposed to integer
> litterals).

I believe we first should try to implement the description system
and then decide how we will interface.

Maybe we can an optional Mnemo: field and a perl script that output a
parimnem.h file and then teach gp2c to understant this field.

But first we need to make sure we want mnemonics flags values depend
of the calling function.