Karim BELABAS on Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:38:57 +0100 (MET)

Re: --host in Configure

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Bill Allombert wrote:
> It look like PARI lack ranlib support.

It was removed in 2.0.13, four years ago. Probably by me, although I don't
remember any details [ version number found by binary search. No mention in
CHANGES, I wasn't too careful at the time... ].

A plausible scenario:
1) we lost our last SunOS 4.x machine.
2) someone reported a broken ranlib [ we would run ranlib whenever the binary
could be found somewhere in the PATH ], and that removing the ranlib call
solved the problem.
3) I thought ranlib was obsolete and 'ar' served the same purpose (better).

> [...] the following extract of config/Makefile.SH is interesting:
>
> if test -n "$ranlib"; then
> cat >> $file << EOT
>
> EOT
> fi

This should indeed be deleted!

OK, so I guess the easiest is to revert to the old behaviour and run ranlib
whenever it can be found (will be a no-op on many systems anyway). Just in
case, this probably also needs to be run _after_ the install to update
timestamps.

Done.

    Karim.

P.S: Of course, this is completely independant from the problem you are
trying to solve...
--
Karim Belabas                    Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathématiques, Bât. 425  Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19