Karim BELABAS on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:46:38 +0200 (MEST)

Re: Doc questions

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Justin Walker wrote:
> 1) Ref card - on my system (Mac OS X, 10.2.5), attempting to print the
> ref card shows a mismatch between paper and orientation of the text
> (text wants landscape; paper is 'normal').  Is that a glitch in the
> .TeX file, or in Mac OS X somehow?

dvips -t landscape  ?

> 2) Can one build a PDF file with 'live links' (as in the down-loadable
> PDF)?  When I build it locally (TeXShop), I don't get the live links.

The downloadable manuals were produced with 'make docpdf' [ tetex
distribution (it shouldn't matter, we simply need pdftex) ]

> 3) The 'users' guide seems to be remade every time I 'make'.  Is that
> expected?

It's a glitch in the dependency system: the manual depends on a file
(users.std) which is erased once the users.dvi target is built [ because of
the 2-pass process: if users.std is not there, FIRST PASS and write index
entries, else SECOND PASS and include index ].

So users.std is never up to date, and is always rebuilt.

It's curable provided I switch to the LaTeX style of doing things (read a
.aux when file is opened, if it exists, write it as the file is being
processed).

Not worth it IMHO [ I'd rather switch to standardized LaTeX than emulate
further its behaviour ].

Cheers,

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                     Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathématiques, Bât. 425   Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19