Igor Schein on Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:05:24 -0400

. in the library path

Hi,

I noticed that during the configure stage when locatelib searches the
path to locate a shared library, '.' is relative to config directory,
while during the linking stage, it's relative to Oxxx-xxx directory.
This inconsistency comes into play when you try to build on a machine
which

a) is missing some shared library links on which pari (unfortunately,
IMO) relies
b) you don't have root access on
c) you don't want ( for whatever reason ) to recompile readline and ncurses

Here're the steps I had to do on a SuSe machine which satisfies all 3
conditions above:

% ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5.2 config/libncurses.so
% ln -s /lib/libreadline.so.4.3 config/libreadline.so
% env CC="gcc -L../config" ./Configure --with-readline-include=/tmp/readline-4.3

I still had to download the readline distribution for include files

So this additional -L../config is the hack which was needed.

Any comment?  Any cleaner solutions?

Thanks

Igor