Bill Allombert on Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:10:40 +0200

Re: Building on Alpha

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 09:05:07AM -0700, Phil Carmody wrote:
> ld complains "gp-relative relocation against dynamic symbol" when trying to
> build the .so. I believe this means that the library should have been compiled
> with -fpic

Glibc 2.3 on alpha require dynamic libraries to be compiled with -fPIC.
This was not the case for Glibc 2.2

> Does this mean config/get_cc should be changed?

Yes and in fact I believe -fPIC should be the default outside x86, since
on other platform either 1) it breaks or 2) there is no slow down.

The problem is that libpari.a should not be compiled with -fPIC,
unless we are in case 2) above where it is free.

There is very few arch/os which support non PIC libraries.