Justin C. Walker on Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:20:07 +0100

Re: Mac OS X + PARI + FLTK

A quick update:

On Friday, November 7, 2003, at 10:46 AM, Karim BELABAS wrote:

Hi,

  I have ported gp hi-res graphics to the MacOS X platform, using the
lightweight fltk library (www.fltk.org). Provided, fltk is installed,
this is enabled by

    Configure --with-fltk

There are two problems:
[snip]

I built fltk (downloaded source from www.fltk.org) and installed on 10.3. I rebuilt (--with-fltk) gp, with the BROKEN_FORK macro commented out. When I run gp and type
? ploth(x=-2,2,x^2-2)

I get a pretty picture in a nice brushed-metal window labled "PARI/GP". The window departs the scene nicely when I click in the pane, but I can't do any "window-like-things" to that window (e.g., drag, grow, ...). The "x/-/+" buttons are live and do what they should.

I'm no graphics guy, but I will bet the problem is that gp is talking to the window manager without actually becoming a first-class window citizen. Thus, when mouse actions take place, the manager has no idea what to do with them (or perhaps it does, but gp isn't listening).

I don't see run-away CPU activity when I execute the above (the CPU meter is pegged somewhere near the bottom), and I get a prompt back right away (independent of whether I terminate with a ';').

So: on 10.3, I don't get runaway CPU cycles, I get control back immediately in the gp terminal session, and I get pretty pictures which can be dismissed by clicking in them once or twice (you may need to "click to focus").

I will look at the state of things on 10.2.8 in the next day or so. Right now, I have to look at tensor products of restricted direct products. :-}.

I hope that answers some of your concerns (if I read your mail correctly).

Cheers,

Justin

--
/~\ The ASCII           Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
\ / Ribbon Campaign