Karim BELABAS on Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:44:44 +0100

Re: directory structure change

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 02:07:53PM -0500, Igor Schein wrote:
> > I noticed that gp is now looking for galdata in $prefix/share/pari
> > instead of $prefix/lib/pari, pretty significant compatibility breaker.
>
> I cannot confirm that, unless of course you have used the --share-prefix
> flag.
>
> The change was that gp was looking for galdata in $datadir. Now it looks
> in $datadir/galdata. See changes C-14 and A-4.

More precisely, gp used to look for Galois data _files_ in $datadir. Now it
looks for a _directory_ $datadir/galdata containing the files.

We have changed the way optional packages are installed, for future
extensions. It is documented in appa.tex / INSTALL.tex (provided you update
from CVS, of course :-).

If you want to test it, please download the 'galdata' package from the
download page on

   http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/download.html

and install it as per the instructions. ( Please protest if you think
something is not well explained in the docs or the website ! )

( Note that galdata has become noticeably smaller. )

Please check that the new installation process does not yield to _too_
unexpected results.

Chers,

    Karim.
--
Karim Belabas                     Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dép. de Mathématiques, Bât. 425   Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19