Franck MICHEL on Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:30:54 +0100

Re: Installation failed on ix86 Linux

>See the FAQ:
>
>  http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~belabas/pari/doc/faq.html#ccbug

Reading the FAQ, I have some precisions about another installation problem,
that perhaps you may be interested to add.

I can't build a 64bit sparcv9 executable!
On the sparcv9 architecture, a 32bit binary is produced by default. To
override this, you need to type in something like (GNU cc)
    env CC="gcc -m64" ./Configure --kernel=none-none

or (Forte cc)
    env CC="cc -xarch=v9" CFLAGS="-xarch=v9" ./Configure --kernel=none-none

You may want to specify kernel=none-gmp instead, but it is crucial to use
the portable native kernel, and not the sparcv9 one, because the latter is
32bit-specific. (Since sparc64 does not support multiplication of 64bit
operands in hardware, there was no point in porting the sparc32 PARI
assembler kernel.)
<<<<

I installed Pari on sparcv9/solaris last fall. The second command
env CC="cc -xarch=v9" CFLAGS="-xarch=v9" ./Configure --kernel=none-none
worked fine for installing Pari with Sun ONE Studio but the first one was
not sufficient for GNU cc. It was because gp used libgcc_so.1 in 32-bit
version instead of 64-bit

I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH, set LD_RUN_PATH to the 64-bit directory, and
everything was Ok.

The same manipulation of variables was necessary to install GMP (by
default, GMP is installed in 64-bit, but does not work because libgmp.so
uses libgcc_s.so.1 in 32-bit). It seems that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a common
cause of trouble on sparcv9 solaris, since it overrides the 64-bit search
path as well as the 32, but I ignored it when I started the installation.
Perhaps other Pari users may be interested to know that too.