Karim Belabas on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:52:20 +0100

Re: gp: anal.c more bugs

* <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> [2004-01-26 20:17]:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:47:08AM +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:
> > P.S: The parser code has been rewritten by Bill ( and is included in gp2c ).
> > I do not know whether it is ready to replace the old one.
>
> It is ready. The problem is that it is only a parser and not an
> interpreter.
[...]
> I suppose we should also evaluate how far we are from a new stable
> release before attempting this change.

I'm taking the bait.

I believe the right move is to release 2-2-8.beta very soon ("as is"), then
make it 2-3.stable.

I do not see any advantage in waiting for "appropriate documentation"
or "stabilization of interfaces", or "further bug squashing". There will
always be problems, we have no time, the current unstable version is in
much better shape than any stable version ever released, the awkard
situation of "near-final-release-but-not-quite-there-yet" is detrimental
to development (see P.S).

I am not working on anything urgent right now. (Wanted to finish a few things
with polredabs and the bnfinit implementations. This can wait.) So I vote for
squeezing in whatever small patches as yet uncommitted (I have none),
and going to immediate code freeze.

Cheers,

    Karim.

P.S: There are two long-standing (huge) patches by Ilya, which I have been
postponing indefinitely (I'm really sorry about this...), for the sake of
this mythical stable release:

  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/archives/pari-dev-0210/msg00137.html

  http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/archives/pari-dev-0211/msg00035.html

I'm especially eager to check/adapt the t_EXT one.
--
Karim Belabas                     Tel: (+33) (0)1 69 15 57 48
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425   Fax: (+33) (0)1 69 15 60 19