Ilya Zakharevich on Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:18:51 +0200

Re: gp: anal.c more bugs

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:38:27AM +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > Can you explain where you see the difference with the situation with
> > GMP kernel?  If there is no difference, I do not see any reason to
> > avoid inclusion of the graphing part...
>
> Since GMP-enabled libpari and non-GMP enabled libpari use a different
> soname

If so, how would your proposed `-lpari is the only flag needed' work?

> I am not comfortable using different soname for every graphic
> engine/kernel supported (none,none-gmp,X11,X11-gmp,fltk,fltk-gmp,Qt,Qt-none)
> since it would be unwieldly to install all of them.

Install all of them?  What for?

> PARI is a library for performing fast computation in number-theory.
> For that purpose, GMP support is a large improvement. On the other end,
> plotting support outside of GP is marginaly useful.

The same applies to each "subset" of PARI functionality.  Typically,
people would use only a small repertoir of groups of PARI functions...

> The documentation go as far as stating that << plotting is not even
> a side purpose of PARI >>.

Well, this is nothing else as the chicken and egg problem.  When
plotting is easier to use, more people use it.

Yours,
Ilya