Prof. J. E. Cremona on Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:50:05 +0100

Re: PARI/GP support for finite fields element

Dear Bill,

That sounds excellent.  Using that, the code I have for computing group
structures of elliptic curves over finite fields could easily be
extended from Z/p to the general case.  I would use multiplicative order
and primitive element, maybe also discrete log.

One question:  How would the efficiency compare between using your new
construction in degree 1 and using plain int_mod for Z/p?  If the new
construction was much slower that would mean keeping two different
implementations, for the degree 1 and degree >1 cases.

John Cremona