Jeroen Demeyer on Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:20:05 +0200

Re: Cross compiling PARI/what about autoconf?

Karim Belabas wrote:
2) it's a non-trivial project with dubious advantages (cross-compiling)

I think the advantages are more than just cross-compiling:
1) configure is something which everybody knows how to use. I regularly compile various programs from source and I can just run configure without thinking. But with PARI, I always have to think how to pass compiler options for example. 2) From 1) it follows that it would also make the life easier of the Linux|Unix distributions. If your program is really easy to compile and install, I hope that more software distributions will package PARI. 3) I noticed that a lot of checks in PARI use things like #ifdef UNIX or #ifdef __GNUC__, instead of checking for the features that you want. So these things should be changed, and then you might as well use GNU configure for that.

Cheers,
Jeroen