Igor Schein on Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:28:12 +0200

Improving warning output

Hi,

This is an example I'll be talking about:

? thue(thueinit(x^7-401),88);
*** thue: Warning: Non trivial conditional class group.
*** The result returned by 'thue' is conditional on the GRH.

1) To improve grep-ability of the output, I would strongly consider including the tag "Warning" in all warning lines, not just the first one, if they *must* be split.  In this particular example, I would think they can be squeezed into 1 line, though I would like  a confirmation from the core PARI/GP developers.

2) If the same output file contains another warning line, say " *** bnfinit: Warning: insufficient precision for fundamental units, not given.", then warning tags wouldn't be aligned vertically, because of length difference between words thue and bnfinit.  I would tentatively consider putting tag "Warning" before the function name, to improve visual presentation.

Thanks

Igor