Ilya Zakharevich on Tue, 10 Nov 1998 01:16:34 -0500 (EST)

Re: PARI translated to C

Peter-Lawrence.Montgomery@cwi.nl writes:
>        Alas, this proposal may be incompatible with Ilya's.
> If some code uses
>
>               GEN x;
>               x[i] = (t)(expression of type GEN):
>
> to store a pointer into an array of type t, the gap
> between the pointers in x[i] and x[i+1] will be sizeof(t).
> Ilya's proposal puts a pointer array in some structs,
> in which case the gap between successive array elements will
> instead be sizeof(valGEN*).  Compatibility mode may
> require these sizeof values be identical.

Hmm, I thought the current scheme could not work where

     sizeof(*GEN) != sizeof(GEN)

Well, thinking about it it *may* work if sizeof(long) >= sizeof(GEN).
In such a case compatibility fails, but I do not think this is a
frequently used and *useful* configuration.

Ilya