Ilya Zakharevich on Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:14:21 -0500 (EST)

Re: DOS + pari-2.0.12.alpha

Karim BELABAS writes:
> I used -Zsysv-signals, and emx.exe _is_ needed for DOS.

.. unless you bind it to the executable.  Though I had never did it,
so cannot help with your problem...  Aha, it is probably just that
sh.exe was not bound with emx.exe.

> On the other hand, all the mathematical functions (and readline) work
> smoothly with the standalone gp.exe provided (at least on my machine...).
> Except that gp.exe doesn't work with my version of sh ("cannot load OS/2
> program, binary corrupt"), I have to use emx.exe or kill the shell and run
> gp.exe from the DOS prompt...

Look for DOS sh in the Perl distributions. Well,

 ftp://ftp.math.ohio-state.edu/pub/users/ilya/perl/os2/5.004_55+/perl_sh.zip

is one location.

> P.S: Also binding emx.exe seems to work on Windows 95 and NT (couldn't test
> for too long). rsx.exe doesn't seem to be needed at all.

Hmm, no.  Rsx.exe is probably autoloaded by emx.exe.  Thus binding
rsx.exe directly may give you better results.

> P.S2: If somebody if proficient with OS/2 or Windows DLL loading, it
> shouldn't be too hard to port the install() functions to those systems (I
> don't know the equivalent of dlopen()/ dlsym() system calls though I'm sure
> they exist). This would remove the last "trivial" difference with the Unix
> version (the last non-trivial one being graphics...).

Perl comes with C file which just defines standard dl_open and
friends.  This is not a problem.  The problem is that PARI does not
know how to write "export lists".  The moment this is implemented on
AIX, it will work on OS/2 too.

Ilya