Karim BELABAS on Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:39:33 +0100 (MET)

Re: C library on a PC

[Marc Chimley:]
> I have retrieved a copy of PARI-GP and installed it on my PC running
> Windows95. I use rsx to run GP in a DOS window. I am now trying to use
> the PARI C libraries, but without success. I am using Borland C++ v3.00
> in a DOS window. If I include \pari\dos and \pari\headers in the
> directory listing, the compiler fails to find unistd.h and pariinl.h. If
> I include \pari\win32 instead of \pari\dos, the compiler uses unistd.h
> OK, but still cannot find pariinl.h. A directory search of \pari shows
> that it is not present in any subdirectory.

You're trying to compile the PARI library first, right ? I never used Borland
C++, hence can't be of much help here. The "win32" and "dos" directory names
are a bit misleading, they should really be: "dos-emx" and "win32-MSVC"

Some notes though:

1) unistd.h is not needed, just create an empty file with that name if your
compiler complains.

2) in version 2.0.[11|12|13], I see win32\pariinl.h.
   Since you're using a C++ compiler, you shouldn't need to fiddle with the
   INLINE define (__inline for MSVC, __inline__ for gcc) which is wrongly
   defined in win32\paricfg.h, but correctly overridden in parisys.h (to
   simply "inline").

3) the file README.DOS explains how to compile with EMX, but that will
probably not too helpful.

Hope this helps,

  Karim.

P.S: If you succeed in compiling, I would be really nice if you could post a
quick HOWTO to this list; I would add that to the distribution. It would be
even nicer if you could correct win32\Makefile so that Borland C can also use
it...
--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr
Dep. de Mathematiques, Bat. 425