Igor Schein on Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:40:36 -0500

bnf behavior

Hi, I noticed something worth being mentioned.
I have a non-monic degree-9 polynomial ( which I took from one of
Ilya's postings ).  bnfclassunit() runs fine at bach=0.3 and gives an
answer in 35min on Ultra-60.  But when I make the polynomial monic with
nfinit(,2).pol and run bnfclassunit() on it, bach keeps doubling and I
eventually run out of memory.

The question is, how can that be explained?  I mean both polynomials
have the same structure.

Thanks

Igor

P.S.
I always do setrand(1) before running a bnf function in my examples to
guarantee the output to be reproducible.