Karim.Belabas on Mon, 7 May 2001 14:59:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Re: Windows 98 and Readline.

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Lopez de la Fuente, Jose Manrique wrote:
> I am a new GP/Pari user. I am using now GP 2.1.1 version, and it works
> great, but using 2.1.1 version with readline I can't type any character
> produced by ALT GR key: [], \,.. How can it be done?
>
> I am using Windows version.

Hi,

  the easiest solution is to download from

   ftp://megrez.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari

the files

  /windows/cygwin/cygwin1.dll.gz
  /windows/cygwin/gp-2-1-1.exe.gz

[ if the Cygwin DLL is already installed on your system, only download the
second one of course! ]. And install then both somewhere in your PATH.

They should replace the binary that you've picked, which is presumably

  /windows/gp-2-1-1.exe.gz

I am going to drop native windows support completely since I haven't
succeeded in eliminating the kind of glitches that you stumbled upon [due to
problematic interactions between the mingw32 port of readline and Windows I/O
library]. The Cygwin compatibility library allows to run GP pretending it is
running on a Unix system, it is no slower than the mingw32 binary (slightly
faster than the M$VC one, apparently), and easier to maintain.

You could live with your native binary, provided you write a translation
table for readline [a so-called `inputrc file'], but it is a bit awkward.

This is all explained in the file /windows/README on the ftp server
(README.WIN in the standard distribution). But this file offers too many
solutions, hence apparently ends up being confusing instead of helpful.

Hope this helps,

    Karim.

--
Karim Belabas                    email: Karim.Belabas@math.u-psud.fr