Denis Simon on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:38:04 +0100 (CET)

elliptic curves in gp

Dear gp users,

I would like to inform you that I have written several programms in GP.
They are available from my web page at
http://www.math.unicaen.fr/~simon

short description of the programms
(more details are given at the head of each file):

1) ell.gp: this is an implementation of 2-DESCENT on ELLIPTIC CURVES
over any number fields. It works quite well for fields of degree 2 or 3,
and is well suited for handling several quadratic twists of a common curve.

2) ellQ.gp: it corresponds to the specialization of ell.gp for
the field of rationnals Q. This programm gives another way of doing
2-descent than the classical mwrank of J. Cremona, since it uses the
direct method instead of the indirect method: their domain of application
are rather disjoint. It is especially well suited for quadratic twists.

3) qfsolve.gp: this module solves efficiently any ternary QUADRATIC EQUATION,
even not in diagonal form (Legendre form). It is used in ellQ.gp.

Don't hesitate to use these programms,
and make any remarks or bug reports !

Denis SIMON.