McLaughlin, James on Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:31:00 +0100

RE: peculiar parenthesis problem.

Thanks. It seems I misunderstood the function of the braces { }.

I had thought these were used to enclose long programs but I see I was wrong.

'Best,

Jimmy.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Bill Allombert [mailto:allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr]
	Sent: Fri 2/20/2004 5:59 PM
	To: pari-users@list.cr.yp.to
	Subject: Re: peculiar parenthesis problem.

	On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 05:36:09PM -0500, McLaughlin, James wrote:

	> I have a question concerning the use of { and }.
	>
	>  If I move the ${$ to the start of the code, which seems the logical
	> place to put it(see the second piece of code below), I get no output.
	>
	> I suspect the problem lies with the way I defined d(n) and subsequently
	> g(n) and h(n). I want something that lets me evaluate these functions at
	> different values of n. As it is, just doing g(33) etc works. The only
	> problem is with the { and }.

	You have a hit a subtle point of GP grammar, and it took me a while
	to make gp2c accomodate it. According to GP grammar, a function is
	terminated by a (unquoted) end-of-line.

	What happen with your programm is that all end-of-line are quoted, so
	the function d(n) 'eat' all the text until the end of the files.

	> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

	Never write more than one function inside a {} block.