Bill Allombert on Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:08:16 +0200

Re: Pari and Intel x86 compiler?

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 09:51:36AM +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:
> Hello,
> is the use of Intel's compiler on Linux supported?
>
> http://www.intel.com/software/products/noncom/
>
> Are there experiences, i.e. would there be a speed difference?

We do not have experience with this compiler, but PARI has been
strongly optimised for GCC so unless intel compiler support
the GCC extensions we use and Configure is tweaked to activate them
for intel compiler, it is likely to be significantly slower.
Specifically,  the inline asm kernel rely on the "Extended Asm" and the
"Statement Exprs" GNU C extensions.

Of course, you are welcome to try and report the results!