Annette/Gottfried on Fri, 05 Sep 2008 12:57:46 +0200

Re: Readline

Martin -

 I don't know, whether this is relevant (since you seem
 to have got sufficient answer already), but it adresses
 readline rather than pari/gp.
 In the new versions of readline (called by the
 new versions of pari) readln sends a communication-
 buffer different from earlier versions. While in
 earlier versions each communication started
 with a clean buffer in the new versions you have littered
 previous commands, only marked with deletion-characters.
 I don't know how Vista handles this, and I don't know
 whether this is a problem at all with standard programs,
 but, for instance, it blocked me to upgrade my paritty-
 utility because the communication-buffer is unpredictable
 for me yet.

Gottfried Helms

Martin Larsen wrote:
I have some problems with this version on Vista:

                 GP/PARI CALCULATOR Version 2.3.4 (released)
          i686 running cygwin (ix86/GMP-4.2.1 kernel) 32-bit version
compiled: Jul 12 2008, gcc-3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)
             (readline v5.2 enabled, extended help not available)

Home, End and Delete key dosn't work anymore.

If I press ^V and Home Pari responds
^[[1~

Then I tried this in .inputrc:
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line

It still doesn't work.

I have earlier reported a serious strange problem occurring when you invoke Pari with a script, say:

gp start.txt

In start.txt I have a function myfun with variable declared like this:
local(myvar);

This variable should not have any relevance outside myfun, agree?

But this variable is not removed from global function (sic) namespace.

Here is what happens:

myvar(n)= n*n
 ***   unused characters: myvar(n)=n*n

I produced this samplescript if you would try:
\u
{myfun(n) = local(myvar); myvar=7;n*myvar}

Regards
Martin