Richard in Reading on Wed, 01 May 2013 18:36:14 +0200

Recovering partial factorizations when using trap() and alarm() to abort factorint()

Thanks to Max Alekseyev I understand how to use alarm to abort a hung factorint() on systems which support alarm().
Runing on windows, alarm(1) gives
"alarm: sorry, 'alarm' not available on this system."
I suppose there's no way of getting alarm to work on a windows box?

Also, aborting the factorint() function does not give any access to any partial factorization found. Is there any way to recover this?

I'm very impressed with some of the changes I can see in 2.6 but I think the usability of the factoring functions are not keeping up. Any changes which would make the run-time of factoring with different flags a bit more predictable would make a big difference to me.

Richard