Jack Fearnley on Fri, 06 May 2016 04:02:41 +0200

Problems with readline

I have decided to download the latest stable version of Pari into my Ubuntu 16.04 partition. It seems I have a few alternative ways of doing this. And none of them, so far, successfully incorporate readline.

1) Use the synaptic package manager to acquire readline and then acquire Pari

1a) Uninstall the above before moving to 2).

2) Download readline from the Pari site and do ./configure etc.
Then download Pari from the Pari site and do ./configure etc

3) Download readline from the Pari site and do ./configure etc.
Then download Pari and compile it. I haven't tried this yet.

Am I missing something obvious?

Why doesn't the Pari package simply incorporate Readline? I cannot imagine anyone NOT wanting it!

Up to now I have been using the Pari that comes with Sagemath and readline seems to be automatic with that package.

Best regards,
                      Jack Fearnley