Ilya Zakharevich on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:17:43 -0400

Re: math::pari + pari-2.1.2

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 06:57:38PM +0200, Karim BELABAS wrote:
> > Junk in, junk out.  This is a Perl module; if the Perl configuration
> > is busted bad enough, one is not able to build a Perl module, period.
> > Nothing specific to Math::Pari.  I do not think I *want* to treat this
> > case specially.
>
> Sure. A quick mention of the symptoms in the README would be user-friendly.

Unfortunately, the symptoms may be arbitrary...  I already added `are
you crazy?' section in INSTALL, though. ;-)

> > BTW, any reason why ulong is *still* used in the sources?  I sent a
> > recipe how to fix it around 5 years ago.  IIRC, it was something as
> > simple as a global edit as in
> >
> >   pfind src '=~ s/\bulong\b/PARI_ulong/'
>
> Well, it's a (nearly) standard type name.

Exactly.  One should avoid using "(nearly) standard" stuff as a plague.

> Also it's not that simple, it would make a lot of sense to have avma and
> friends be of type e.g PARI_stack_ptr, whereas the arithmetic word operations
> should operate on e.g PARI_word [these two changes would remove zillions of
> Warnings from picky compilers, btw] etc... It doesn't make much sense to make
> a global edit which would not clarify things, falling back to (unsigned long)
> would do just as well.

Nope.  To build a 64-bit PARI on a 32-bit-ILP compiler you need to be
able to specify your own types to the components of PARI objects.
What I said is just one step in this direction.

> > > Pari.xs:224: warning: static declaration for `changevalue' follows non-static
> >
> > Thanks.  Cannot find it in CHANGES, when was it made global?  It is
> > not in 2.0.15 yet...
>
> anal.c revision 1.55 (2001/09/18 11:04:50) that means just after
> release-2.2.0.  It was a _huge_ patch [ introduced writebin() ], I forgot to
> mention the globalization in CHANGES (also in 'cvs log'...).

Thanks, I will insert a guard for PARI_VERSION (sp?) <= 2002000.

Ilya