Bill Allombert on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:16:12 +0100

Re: 2 recent changes - Mac OS X check

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:45:03PM -0800, Justin Walker wrote:

> So it has (I'm assuming) the ppc-gmp kernel, but I don't understand the
> 'unknown' bit.
>
> Some other nits:
> 1) it builds in Odarwin-none.  Why not Odarwin-ppc?  Is this related to
> 'unknown' above?

Yes it is. It also explain why you need to use --kernel.
Auto detection is broken.
What is the output of
uname -a
?

> 2) The build didn't actually succeed; I had to hand-tweak it.  There is
> a spurious "-Wl,,/usr/local/lib" in the 'ld' line that causes a hiccup:
>             ld: can't open:  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I can reproduce this on a x86 with --host=unknow-darwin

> 3) There are a few oddities in the 'configure' phase I don't yet get:
>    - ...I did not find getrlimit.
>      ...I did not find opendir.
>     These are both in libSystem

PARI only look in libc it seems.

>    - ...I did not find dlopen.
>     This is reasonable, but is there a way to specify where libdl
> lives?  It's available on my system in a (fink-provided) non-standard
> location.
>     With 'libdl', we can support install(), as we established a while
> back (this is a sort of "If we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if
> we had eggs" situation, since there was also a libtool issue, as I
> recall).

Karim will add built-in dlopen support some day.

>    - Using GNU readline, version 4.1
>      My system has (in /usr/local/lib, where configure found it)
> version 4.2 and "4":
>            libreadline.4.2.dylib
>            libreadline.4.dylib
>      How did Configure come up with 4.1?

Do you have other version available ?
Try
ldd gp-dyn

> Looks like close to 30% improvement over the "portable GMP" kernel.
> Great work!

Thanks for your tests!