Justin Walker on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:42:58 -0800

Re: 2 recent changes - Mac OS X check

On Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003, at 13:16 US/Pacific, Bill Allombert wrote:

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:45:03PM -0800, Justin Walker wrote:

So it has (I'm assuming) the ppc-gmp kernel, but I don't understand the
'unknown' bit.

Some other nits:
1) it builds in Odarwin-none. Why not Odarwin-ppc? Is this related to
'unknown' above?

Yes it is. It also explain why you need to use --kernel.
Auto detection is broken.
What is the output of
uname -a

Darwin grinch 6.4 Darwin Kernel Version 6.4: Wed Jan 29 18:50:42 PST 2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.26.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

2) The build didn't actually succeed; I had to hand-tweak it. There is a spurious "-Wl,,/usr/local/lib" in the 'ld' line that causes a hiccup:
            ld: can't open:  (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I can reproduce this on a x86 with --host=unknow-darwin

3) There are a few oddities in the 'configure' phase I don't yet get:
   - ...I did not find getrlimit.
     ...I did not find opendir.
    These are both in libSystem

PARI only look in libc it seems.

I was not clear. On Mac OS X, the build (gcc) automatically uses libSystem. It's the Mac OS X/Darwin version of libc, so I'm unclear as to why these were missed. I'll review the log later, and see if I can track this down.

   - ...I did not find dlopen.
    This is reasonable, but is there a way to specify where libdl
lives?  It's available on my system in a (fink-provided) non-standard
location.
    With 'libdl', we can support install(), as we established a while
back (this is a sort of "If we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if
we had eggs" situation, since there was also a libtool issue, as I
recall).

Karim will add built-in dlopen support some day.

Ummm...

   - Using GNU readline, version 4.1
     My system has (in /usr/local/lib, where configure found it)
version 4.2 and "4":
           libreadline.4.2.dylib
           libreadline.4.dylib
     How did Configure come up with 4.1?

Do you have other version available ?
Try
ldd gp-dyn

The build doesn't produce a gp-dyn, and we don't have 'ldd' (Mac OS X/Darwin uses 'otool' instead). I've verified that there are versions of readline in /usr/local/lib (as above) and in /sw/lib, which wasn't searched (in /sw/lib, there are 4, 4.2, and 4.3).

I'll look further at these; it's possible that something in the .dylibs themselves is confusing the issue.

Regards,

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large  *
Institute for General Semantics        |   When LuteFisk is outlawed