Bill Allombert on Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:18:57 +0100

Re: One more ./Configure issue

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:26:46PM +0100, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> the following is an issue which I encountered while doing 32bit/64bit
> cross-compiling on a x86_64 GNU/Linux machine:
>
> When using linux32 ./Configure, this setting will be forgotten during
> make.  Once I have Configured PARI/GP as 32-bits it should remember that
> during make instead of checking again (the culprit is the
> @dir=`config/objdir`; line in the top-level Makefile).

Yes, you have to run 'linux32 make', or make -C Olinux-i686.
The advantage of the PARI system is that it is stateless: if you build
for both 32- and 64-bit from the same source tree, you do not want the
meaning of 'make gp' to depend upon whether you configured last the
32-bit or the 64-bit objdir.  This is very usefull if you get your
source from SVN and do not rerun Configure before each 'make',
or if your homedir is shared across several plateform.

> PS: I remind you again about GNU autoconf+automake, which does not have
> this issue.

You meant this _feature_. When I wrote automake support for GP2C,
automake was not able to put object files in a separate directory
(like PARI does).