William Stein on Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:25:34 +0100

Re: Working on iOS port

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Bill Allombert
<Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 05:51:51PM -0500, Muhammad-Sharif Moustafa wrote:
>> Oh, I did not realize that GPL was incompatible with Apple’s App
>> Store.  After doing some reading about it, that does seem to be the
>> case.  If the ownership of and copyright to this app was given to the
>> Pari project, would the issue still remain? Since Pari would have
>> control over the app, would it be possible to release the app under a
>> different license for the purpose of distributing the app on the app
>> store?
>
> This is problematic because we do not have copyright assignment.

I am not a lawyer, but there are a lot of GPL'd programs on Apple's
iOS App Store.  For example, this (excellent) iOS ssh/mosh client

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blink-shell-mosh-ssh/id1156707581?mt=8

is GPLv3

https://github.com/blinksh/blink/blob/master/COPYING

You can either buy it from the app store, or compile it from source
and install it yourself using XCode.

I'm only posting this because I personally wish there were widely
available Pari (and many other OSS math software) options for iOS, not
to start a discussion about legal issues.   (Also, for better or
worse, the terms for making software available in the iOS app store
tend to change over time....)