Bill Allombert on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:40:29 +0100

Re: Working on iOS port

On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 10:24:45AM -0800, William Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Bill Allombert
> <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 05:51:51PM -0500, Muhammad-Sharif Moustafa wrote:
> >> Oh, I did not realize that GPL was incompatible with Apple’s App
> >> Store.  After doing some reading about it, that does seem to be the
> >> case.  If the ownership of and copyright to this app was given to the
> >> Pari project, would the issue still remain? Since Pari would have
> >> control over the app, would it be possible to release the app under a
> >> different license for the purpose of distributing the app on the app
> >> store?
> >
> > This is problematic because we do not have copyright assignment.
>
> I am not a lawyer, but there are a lot of GPL'd programs on Apple's
> iOS App Store.  For example, this (excellent) iOS ssh/mosh client
>
> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blink-shell-mosh-ssh/id1156707581?mt=8
>
> is GPLv3
>
> https://github.com/blinksh/blink/blob/master/COPYING
>
> You can either buy it from the app store, or compile it from source
> and install it yourself using XCode.

Is it really possible to compile a package and install it on a iPhone
without rooting it ?

If all copyright are assigned to you then you can upload it to iTunes with
one license and to GitHub with one other...

> I'm only posting this because I personally wish there were widely
> available Pari (and many other OSS math software) options for iOS, not
> to start a discussion about legal issues.   (Also, for better or
> worse, the terms for making software available in the iOS app store
> tend to change over time....)

...which means that whatever I knew about them is likely to be obsolete.

In any case, since you have experience with it, how hard it is to build
PARI natively for running on iPhones ?
Would it be possible to port the java paridroid interface to iOS ?