Karim Belabas on Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:14:44 +0100

Re: L-functions twisted by character

* apacetti@dm.uba.ar [2017-12-11 16:23]:
> What you should do is to first compute the twist and its minimal model
> (this recovers the missing local factors), and then compute the L-series
> value.
>
> If you want to avoid doing this, you can recover the missing local factor
> (if any) by  counting points over field extensions. This is explained in
> an article by Tim and Vlad Dokchitser.

Sure: that's precisely what Bill suggested to do when we are dealing with the
L-function of an elliptic curve.

But his implementation also allows to twist *arbitrary* (motivic)
L-functions by a Dirichlet character (of arbitrary order), as long as
the conductors are coprime. And this is useful as well, even with the
coprimality restriction :-)

Cheers,

    K.B.

--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite de Bordeaux         Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 21 23