Ariel Martin Pacetti on Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:31:49 +0100

nfisincl question

Hello, today I came with the problem of determining whether (the field given by) a quadratic polynomial is contained in a huge and nasty degree 480 polynomial. I did not wanted the morphism, just a boolean answer (0,1). I tried to run nfisincl (which seems like the natural routine), but after one hour, and a lot of memory I gave up.

Instead, I tried polcompositum(p,q), and I checked that the output had the same degree as q (the 480 one). This took less than a minute. My question (now that I solved the theoretical question) is whether there is some flag (I did not find it) that allows nfisincl to give a boolean answer without serching for the morphism (as did polcompositum).

As I said, I solved the problem, but there might be another (more efficient) way to do it that I do not know of.

Bests

Ariel