Karim Belabas on Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:04:47 +0100

Re: OS X dmg image

* Bill Allombert [2013-03-12 22:04]:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 04:41:53PM +0100, Karim Belabas wrote:
> > * Pascal Molin [2013-03-11 23:30]:
> > > Last try for today :
> > > http://pari.math.u-bordeaux1.fr/~pascal/PariGP-2.5.3.dmg
> > >
> > > I did not know what to do with some links from libreadline to libgcc and
> > > libncurses, I hope this will do.
> >
> > I had started to play with dmg's as well but had decided against it in the
> > end in particular for this reason; the other being that I didn't want to
> > distribute a full-fledged 330MB distribution and didn't see a way to
> > distribute "incremental" dmg's in more than one monolithic step.
>
> I note that Pascal .dmg is only 11MB.

In principle, a basic (compressed) gp-sta + documentation [ including
readline + gmp + on-line help ] requires < 3.5MB.

My problem was how to distribute a "bare-bones" gp, then extra packages
in separate archives (trivial to do using a zip or tar.gz archive to
fixed locations, non trivial using a dmg if you allow the user to
relocate the package in arbitrary ways). Or first a full install, then
later upgrade only gp-sta + documentation, etc.

This is certainly possible, given enough time to understand the dmg
format (compressing everything would be a first step), but I'd like to
limit my interactions with OS/X: it was already painful enough just to
get a working binary, and I have no doubt Apple will find creative ways
to break our build system again in their next releases.

Anyway, I'm not pushing for a particular solution, and I have no problem
compiling pari in a variety of ways for my own uses. Just trying to find
the best way to allow ordinary Mac users to fetch and upgrade gp, AND for
maintainers to easily upload up-to-date versions (read 'nightly
snapshots') with minimal effort.

I can do it with the proposed .tar.gz / zip + install.sh solution with
hardcoded paths to /usr/local. Hopefully Pascal can do it "the .dmg way"
(I can't, esp. with relocatable paths). I'm open to all suggestions
achieving the desired goal :-)

Cheers,

    K.B.
--
Karim Belabas, IMB (UMR 5251)  Tel: (+33) (0)5 40 00 26 17
Universite Bordeaux 1          Fax: (+33) (0)5 40 00 69 50